Tuesday, February 23, 2016

TLC week one


I arrived to TLC children's home Tuesday in time for lunch (my 11 hour flight from Zurich went smoothly). After joining in for lunch I did a couple hours of training and then spent some time in the nursery getting acquainted with the babies and other volunteers. Tuesday I did not sleep well :/

Wednesday was my first day in the nursery! Culture shock began to set in... Plus having 30 babies and kiddos vying for your attention can be just a little overwhelming. I spent time praying for the Lord to help me and be my strength. Day by day by day by day. He is answering that prayer!

Thursday was a full day with ten hours in the nursery. I enjoyed some time outside during a break to read. Got a little sun burnt (African sun is hot and my winter skin is white ;)

Friday was a hectic day but a good day. We got two new babies! I was in the "nest" with the newborns and smallest infants when we received a one week old baby girl. One of the staff ladies came in with her and I was able to give her a bottle and weigh her and get her settled in. She's a tiny munchkin and very cute. I stayed two hours
late in the kitchen to finish the dinner dishes and bottles and get it all cleaned for the next day.

Saturday I went to the mall close by on my couple hours break and was able to buy a few groceries to have on hand for snacks, etc. I also got coffee and a huge (seriously the biggest I've seen) banana nut muffin at Mugg & Bean (south Africa's coffee shop). I had some ATM issues and that was the tipping point for my flood tide of tears... I let out a good cry with two of the other women volunteers and just shared the stresses I'm feeling and the culture shock of being here again and how things are different and they helped me process and remind me of truths. I moved cottages
Saturday, just right next to the one I was in before. Now I'm with four girls/women in
their 20s and I feel more at home. Praise the Lord for that.

Sunday was a good day...I had four hours in the Nest, which I loved. And I got to face time my parents!!! Definitely a highlight. Putting the "lions" (2-5 year olds, plus one 8 year old with special needs) to bed was super hard work, especially since I barely know them yet. I think what makes this work so challenging is that many of the babies and kiddos need special attention be it for physical reasons or emotional or history of abuse or abandonment issues...but I rarely can give that one on one time that they need and crave, so we do our best but it's hard knowing they need more.




Monday was another full, but good day. Highlight of the day was "American night" - the other 8 volunteers and I had burgers and Mac n cheese for dinner and a delicious dessert...made by Rebekah, another American. So much fun to be together eating... Of course in the nursery still, though most of the babies were sleeping by this point. 

Until next time... Cil.


Sent from my