Monday, April 4, 2016

Week 6! (Posted a week late)

Disclaimer: I wrote this last Tuesday but wasn't able to finish and post it until now. I'm leaving today and hope to write more about this past week and my experiences as a whole once I'm home and have some time to sit down and process things more.



I know we're halfway through this week already and I haven't written yet about last week but as I've said before the days are so full here it can be hard to find time to myself or to write. But in a way I love the busyness. It's tiring and really takes all my energy to care for the kids each day and love them well (for the time I'm here with them), but it is rewarding work and most days end with a feeling of fulfillment knowing I hugged a toddler, kissed a newborn, fed a bottle or wiped a snotty nose with love... Small things with great love. I think my time here and the challenges I've faced have been stripping some "ugly" parts of my character away and refining who I am. I came across this quote last week while doing my bible study in Hosea. 

"For every look at yourself, take ten looks at Christ. He is altogether lovely." //Robert Murray McCheyne 

In my time here at TLC there's very little time to "look at myself"...there's so many others to look at and look after. And with the daily challenges I am reminded to look to Christ for strength and grace as I carry on in this important work. God is refining me as I care for these little ones (and tiny ones) and using my meager offerings to plant seeds of His love in these little lives. 

My time here is drawing to an end soon. It will be bittersweet to leave next week when the time comes. But the little impact I've had here can last even after I say goodbye. I'm so thankful for the 7 weeks here and all the love shared, with the babies and the volunteers I've served alongside.