Sunday, February 7, 2016

From L'Abri to France...

I'm writing from Gex, France this evening. On Friday afternoon I departed L'Abri after 6 wonderful days there. Leaving was certainly bittersweet. Bitter to leave many new friends behind and sweet as I look forward to all the adventures still to come and getting to spend this weekend and coming week with cousins.

So let me try to recap the week at L'Abri fellowship. Highlights were certainly the Alps, tea time breaks, and the people/community. At L'Abri most days are spent half day studying/reading and half day doing chores, gardening, or cooking meals. On Sunday and Thursday students have the day off to rest or go out or do a day trip. Last Sunday morning after breakfast and the bible study time I ate lunch then walked about one hour up the mountain to a town called Villars where we could have coffee and baked goods in a cafe and use the Internet. In the evening there was a student talent show. Since I was not able to bring my violin on this trip (my goal was to pack light!) I just enjoyed watching the other students sing, recite or play a song. Was fun to watch and also get to know some them better that way. Monday morning we had a prayer meeting after breakfast and then I cleaned that morning and read/studied in the afternoon after lunch. Tuesday morning also cleaned and then read in the afternoon. Wednesday I had a study morning. Lunch was followed by a lecture, then in the afternoon I helped make dinner. We cooked veggies and gnocchi with sausage and Parmesan cheese. I made corn bread and helped make the salads too. It was delicious! Wednesday nights they usually have movie night..we watched Princess Bride. "Inconceivable" :) Thursday was a day off from study and work, so after breakfast I went with one of the girls in my room (Morgan) and about 6 others to walk down the mountain to Aigle. It was about 3 hours walking, but was so pretty and very worth it. We got some lunch (pizza and wine) in town and used the Internet to check emails, etc. we then walked around Aigle more and went to a few more shops. A couple of us stopped for coffee too before we got on the bus headed back up the mountain to Huemoz, where L'Abri is. Friday we had a lecture in the morning, though it was more of a discussion time based on an article we'd read the day before having to do with the refugee crisis and other things going on in the world and "what we owe eachother". I went for a walk, finished packing, and said goodbyes. After lunch it was time to catch the bus back down to the train station. Thankfully a gal from Canada was also leaving that day too, so we left together on the same bus and train too. So very thankful for the time there and especially for the quiet and time outside walking and hiking, and also for the new friends made.

To learn more about L'Abri see their website here: http://www.labri.org/swiss/index.html

Below are a few pictures from the week at L'Abri. 1 - The view looking out at the alps from the chalet where I stayed. 2 - Chalet Bellevue, my home for the week (very cozy!)  3 - lunch out on our day off in Aigle.